When you’ve got an interesting story to tell as part of your documentary voice over choice is of paramount importance. It’s need be different from funny voice overs. You need a narrator who has an engaging manner of speaking and who displays a genuine passion for the subject at hand. Only then can you tell your fascinating story the right way. Use a highly skilled professional voice actor and your documentary will make a real difference in the world.
The Purpose of Documentaries
The whole point of a documentary is to provide an audiovisual account of an important topic that the public deserves to enjoy and learn from. When you use voice over actors documentary films really come to life. Whether you’re raising awareness of the light of endangered animals such as in the case of the Siberian tiger, or you’re giving your audience an insider’s look at the life of a famous figure, the documentary format is the way to go.
What to Look for in a Documentary Narrator
When choosing your documentary narrator from a list of several highly qualified candidates, there are several factors you must take into account. Follow the pointers below and you’ll surely pick the right professional to do a voice over for a documentary you’re making.
Pick a narrator who can speak as if they’re sharing the experience with the audience. They should play the role of an informed observer in order to maintain the viewer’s interest.
Choose a narrator with a tone of voice that conveys a sense of modesty. You want someone who will make your viewers feel respected and as if they’re gaining knowledge from a person genuinely interested in educating them.
- Select a narrator who is able to sound objective when reading out your script. If they happen to disagree with your content, you don’t want their tone of voice and style of delivery to betray this fact.
The purpose of the narrator is not to take away the job of the on-screen presenters and other cast members. Whereas the presenters can deliver emotional content, the narrator should be less invested in this way.
Writing Your Script
Among the various kinds of work offered to voice over actors, documentary films are considered to be a real honor. It’s not every day that you get to put a voice to an educational movie that’ll potentially reach millions of viewers.
- Consider the visual aspects of your documentary. Work out where each scene will be staged, which camera angles should be used and whether there will be any important transitions from one scene to another. Documentaries are visual as well as script-based, and these two halves must fit together perfectly.
- Think about the kinds of sound effects that can be used to supplement your script and the work of the narrator. This part of the documentary will help to draw your audience in on a purely sensory level.
Use your script to tell a story. This can only be done once you’ve finished all the work behind the scenes like research, interviews and other data gathering tasks. Ultimately, you’re going to be working backward as you cannot put a script together without first having all your evidence and other material to hand.
Some Excellent Examples
It’s easy enough to talk about what makes a documentary truly great, but it’s better to watch a few examples of the finest work ever created. Whether it’s the superior audio production or the high quality of the narrator or presenter, these 5 examples represent some of the best motion picture documentaries ever made.
- Walking with Dinosaurs, narrated by Sir Kenneth Branagh. Owing to his background playing and directing Shakespeare, Sir Kenneth makes an excellent narrator who knows exactly how to use his voice and what effect his tone will achieve.
- Cosmos, narrated by Carl Sagan, a world-famous scientist with an unrivalled sense of poetry. It’s thanks to his enthusiasm that a whole generation of kids got interested in outer space and the solar system.
- Planet Earth, narrated by Sir David Attenborough. No list of narrative greats would ever be complete without his inclusion. Sir David, with his uniquely captivating voice, is behind hundreds of thr finest documentaries ever made.
- Enemy of the Reich, narrated by Dame Helen Mirren. This captivating story about a Muslim woman who joined the French Resistance during World War 2 couldn’t have been voiced any better than this.
March of the Penguins, narrated by Morgan Freeman. There’s just something about his voice that draws you in. It’s hard to put your finger on what it is, but you won’t find a single person who could fault his work on this documentary.
A Few Inspirational Quotes to Get You Started
Everyone needs a little pep talk from time to time and some of the greatest documentary makers have uttered a wise word or two that you can use for some inspiration. In turn, you’ll come up with your own pearls of wisdom that can be conveyed as part of the voice over for a documentary of any kind.
If you’ve ever had any doubt about who’s in charge when you’re making a documentary, consider one of Alfred Hitchcock’s many famous quotes: “In feature films the director is God; in documentary films, God is the director.”
It’s the effect of your documentary that is most important and that’s not solely down to how the film looks. As Fernando Solanas wisely said: “…The most important thing was not the film itself but that which the film provoked.”
Make sure you consider all the possibilities when you are searching for a professional vocal artist to work on your documentary, ivr voice over or any other types. We offer the finest voice actors at the most reasonable prices you’ll find anywhere online.
Send a real message to your audience when you hire a top narrator for your documentary voice over. Work with the best and they’ll do the rest.
Thank you for getting this new recording to me. Really appreciate your help.HELEN, USA
I have referred you to several of our other friends in the business as well. We appreciate how you have handled all of our issues and needs.ALINA, LATVIA
The voice over sounded really great, exactly how I wanted it sound and very professional. Thank you!
Thank you for the recording! Really fast, but awesome quality!:)SHAUNA, USA
Yes, order is complete and I am very satisfied, well done!Thank You so much!PAUL, USA
Excellent job, I am very happy with the work. My thanks to the young lady for a job well done. I will likely need your service again in the near future!
Looks good! Thanks for such a fast service. We will deal with you again.WENDY, USA
Well done! Thank you very much.SANDEEP, INDIA
All of Richards VOs are fantastic, especially the Anton one. Please let him know his change in accent is fantastic and much appreciated. We have no changes for him!